Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Where did Death's Academy come from?

Where did the idea of Death’s Academy come form?
So I had finished my first book Crossovers, which is twice as long as Death’s Academy and had a darker, more serious, tone overall. I am by nature, somewhat of a goofball and dork with an imagination that leans towards the bizarre side.

For example when I was in my early twenties I made an extremely independent movie called Funk Down. Funk Down is the epic story of a guy, he actually was a disco king coming back to his hometown after a long journey to find that the forces of soft rock had overtaken his city, shut down the disco dens, and sent his world into black chaos. Truly a deep, thoughtful piece of work.
Anyhow, I had finished Crossovers and I wanted to tap into my weirdness again, so I started to brainstorm on ideas. An idea about man eating venus flytraps survived for about a day or two, but thankfully I came to my senses and then I started playing around with another idea about a guy who you can hire to destroy special occasions… which may be a book I actually do in the future, but at that moment it wasn’t speaking to me. So I was despondent, I locked myself into my room, wailed into my pillow for at least a good seven or eight seconds and thought my world had ended.

So in this state of the utmost melodramatic tragedy my twelve year old son came up to me and showed me a story that he had written. I’ll be honest I don’t remember all the particulars, but I do remember that there was a cat and then a Grim reaper who was assigned to kill cats. As soon as I read that, a tsunami of ideas came to me. Well what if there were reapers for all types of animals and humans and you had to go to school to learn how to be a grim reaper. What if there entire culture and class structure was determined by the type of reaper you were, what would be the ultimate assignments to have. Then the idea of having their arch nemesis be the guardian angels jumped on board, so it started this snowball effect that I have to credit all to my son.
So in hindsight my wife was right and it was a wise move to not sell him into the circus as the boy that gets shot from the cannon… I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment